alt.fiction 2007

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ticking along...

Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of posting lately. I'm organising quite a lot of events for October so have been busy in that planning stage.

However Alt.Fiction has not left my mind and quietly things have been moving along. I have drawn up a provisional programme, which has gone out to all the day's participants. While there are a few bits of tinkering to be done, there's nothing too wholesale to be altered, which is nice to know. It was only in putting together the program that I actually realised how many good writers we had on board. As soon as that is finalised I will obviously post it here.

I have had a chat with the venue about the event and its future and they seemed pretty keen to maintain their involvement, which is good news. We've also talked about a range of literature events at the Assembly Rooms so hopefully we can build an even better working relationship.

I'm going to work on some sort of pre-release flyer for the event which I can take to Nottingham for FantasyCon, just to let people know the date, the price, the venue and the guest list. The webpage is down for the moment (you have to set an expiry date) but I am hoping to get that working again soon.

And if anyone does want to have a chat at FantasyCon about Alt.Fiction then just let me know- my email is alex.davis@derby.gov.uk. I'm looking forward to seeing the program there and enjoying the weekend. I'll be over with a friend of mine and despite living a bus ride away we've decided to stay over so as not to miss all the late-night shenanigans...

Final point from a more personal perspective- I've been back writing for the first time in ages (probbly nearing a year)- 5 short stories in 2 weeks. A couple of modern/urban fantasies, a near sci-fi piece (it's about time travel but in an abstract sort of way), a Lovecraftian tale and a rather nasty near-horror piece. I wonder where these things come from sometimes...but it feels great to be getting creative again and long may it continue!!

Anyway, be back again soon

Alex

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alex, great to hear about the creative tsunami. Long may it wash over you.

7:27 AM  
Blogger David Barnett said...

Alex - sorry, should have responded to your e-mail. My time's fine, if my co-panelist is all right with it.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Alex Davis said...

Hi Guys,

David- no troubles. Still waiting to hear back from Adam but I think you'll get a good audience of really keen prospective writers.

And Wayne- I share those same sentiments!! It's got to have been about a year, at least ten months since I put pen to page and I'm certainly not aiming to leave it that long again!!

Thanks

Alex

1:59 AM  
Blogger David Barnett said...

If Adam is unhappy with the early shift I'm more than happy to do it later - if that fits in with your schedule, of course.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, I'd probably miss the early shift... my train won't get in until around mid-day.

Though you'll be around the rest of the day I presume David?

1:02 AM  
Blogger David Barnett said...

I will be around all day. To be honest, the first shift will be a little tight for me getting there, but you gets what you're given...

2:01 AM  
Blogger Alex Davis said...

Hi David,

If you need to have your slot shifted back then I'll see what I can do- that's why I send it out before confirming it as final!

Let me know if you want it altered and I'll do my best to juggle it a bit.

Thanks

Alex

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home